Sat, 15 Feb|
LFW2020 ACT NOW
Join us on the streets at London Fashion Week to demand that this season's must have - is the continuation of life on Earth.
Time & Location
15 Feb 2020, 09:00 – 13:00
180 Strand, 180 Strand, Temple, London WC2R 1EA, UK
About the event
On Saturday, 15th February, we will start the day with a swarm, followed by creative actions, music, block-printing, speeches and family-friendly activities. Let’s use the power of our creativity to envision a better world.
Why we are rebelling
We are in the midst of a Climate and Ecological Crisis. The fashion industry plays a big part in this.
According to the UN, 2020 is the ‘make or break year.’ To limit warming to below 1.5C now requires a 15% cut in emissions annually. And yet, this February, the global Fashion Weeks convene again – to display the clothes the industry wants us to wear for Autumn/Winter 2020-21, past the UN 2020 deadline.
We challenge the industry to stop the cycle of overproduction and overconsumption that threatens those that least contributed to it, notably the Global South and all youth, whose future is at stake.
- The clothing industry alone accounts for 7% of global greenhouse gas emissions, almost the same as the total emissions of the EU.
- The climate impact of the industry is predicted to increase by 49% by 2030.
- It takes up to 2700 litres of water to produce a conventional cotton t-shirt.
- Approximately 20% of industrial water pollution comes from textile production.
- Fashion is a particularly wasteful industry with less than 1% of clothing recycled into new clothing.
- 80% of garment workers are women, of whom many work long exhausting hours for less than half of a living wage.